I never really understood how much joy a bowl of pasta could give me until I started divulging into the different types of pasta and sauces that accompany them. I am a hardcore make at home pasta sauce maker, though I haven’t really tried my hand at making fresh pasta.
But let’s get to the part where the pasta is almost like a cure for the sappy inner demon of your usual mid-life crisis, any issue or you’re feeling particularly motivated and want to give your belly a warm hug on a particularly cold mid-morning, what do you crave? I will always crave a good, flavour packed bowl of pasta.
So here’s my spin on the easiest and the fastest pasta ever made to satisfy your craving and cold tummies.
What you’ll need:
Oil – 1 tbsp, preferably olive (not virgin), but any oil easily available to you also works
Chopped garlic – 4-5 cloves
Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp
Oregano – 1 tsp
Dried Basil – 1 tsp
Parmesan – for garnish
Assorted vegetables – I usually end up adding leftover vegetables like broccoli, bell peppers, button mushrooms, black olives etc.
Pasta – cooked as per your liking. The best way to time this is, by heating water to boil the pasta and simultaneously cutting all the vegetables so you don’t waste too much time. Best to use fusilli or penne, but I have also developed a bias towards angel hair spaghetti.
- Boil pasta and drain the water. Don’t forget to add salt to the pasta water while cooking.
- In a pot, heat oil add the dry herbs and garlic and let that fry up for 3-4 minutes. This will create a flavorful base for the pasta.
- After this, add the vegetables depending upon the time taken by each vegetable to cook. So, I’d add onions, broccoli, bell peppers at first, but not let it soften completely I love the crunch in pasta. After this add the mushrooms and olives. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Add about 2 tbsp of your favourite sauce or don’t. You won’t regret the no sauce version either.
- Put that cooked pasta in, and mix well. Switch off the heat and grate parmesan. Serve hot.
This could be anything, breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. If I am specifically craving pasta, I make it from scratch or sometimes have pre-cooked pasta stored in the refrigerator.
Go ahead, give it a try and let me know, what are your thoughts and variations on this instant pasta fix!