I happened to order a bowl meal from Freshii one evening and the idea of making it at home had constantly itched my mind. So, I decided to meal prep for this bowl a little in advance and head over to make a similar home cooked version.
What you’ll need:
- Base: Rice(White or brown)/Oats/Quinoa/Dalia(Bulgur Wheat)/Chopped greens. I have also used Uncle Ben’s Mexican Rice
- Protein: Chicken/Paneer/Tofu or Egg ( I used about 350 gms of mini breast fillets)
- Veggies: Assorted bell peppers/mushrooms/broccoli and onions
- Beans: Black beans/Red Kidney Beans/Garbanzo beans or any beans of your choice. ( Please soak overnight and cook in a pinch of black salt)
- Toppings: Hummus/Guacamole/Greek Yogurt/Chopped lettuce or kale/Salsa/Sliced tomatoes and cucumbers
- Cumin, chilli and coriander powder
- Tandoori Masala(if available)
- Tomato paste
- Black pepper
- Schezwan chutney/ Schezwan sauce or sweet chilli sauce
- Lemon Juice
Put it together:
If you’re choosing chicken/paneer or tofu as your protein the easiest way to make it tasty is by marinating in the marinade I made as follows-
- mix together about 2 tbsp of yogurt with a pinch of salt, 1 tsp of lemon juice, 1/2 tsp coriander powder and cumin powder, 1 tsp of tandoori masala or 1/2 tsp of chilli powder and 1/2 tsp of garlic-ginger paste. Add your protein and let it sit for 30 minutes. You can cook this in a pan with 1 tsp of oil or just put it in the oven at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes. (I prefer making this in advance so I can save time when making this bowl for dinner)
- Heat a pan, add about 1 tsp of oil and cook your protein. After cooking, switch off the heat and add about 1/4th cup of water to the pan and let it sit. (You’ll be using this water as a base to cook your veggies)
I usually make a half and half base of Quinoa and Bulgur Wheat, but you can pick anything. Personally to save time, bulgur wheat or oats are a good option since you can just pop them in the microwave and have it cooked in less than 5 minutes.
The base water left over from cooking the protein now needs to be put back on the heat, add the onions, bell peppers, and broccoli or mushroom and broccoli or any veggie combination you prefer.
Let it cook for about 4-6 minutes with a lif on top. I prefer to have my vegetables crunchy instead of soggy. While cooking the veggies, add about 1/2 tsp of schezwan sauce/chutney or sweet chilli sauce.
It’s now time to assemble the bowl. Take a bowl and put your base as the first layer from the bottom. As you can see, my bowl is half quinoa and 1 packet of Uncle Ben’s Mexican Rice.
Add your chopped greens, veggies and cooked beans
Time to finish it with toppings and protein
This is my version of a power-packed meal and it’s always good to have it as an early dinner. I usually have my dinner before 7:30 p.m. and meal prepping the chicken over the weekend helps me sort out my food schedule during the week.
Let me know how you find this concept of a meal in a bowl and drop in a comment if you made it!